Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Filler


Health. I'd covered for this teacher last year during the last two weeks of summer school, so I kind of knew what I was getting into.

For the last four hours, I had the same group. (They missed taking health during the school year. Many of them because they'd taken an AP class instead. Which means they were a pretty good group, especially for summer school.)

They were studying the chapter on nutrition. They had vocabulary, a chapter outline, a food collage, and chapter review questions.

Unfortunately, that was enough work for only 3 hours...

Luckily, the teacher had left his laptop. (Their vocab terms and journal topic needed to be projected.) I know how to kill 45ish minutes. YouTube!

Yeah, it's cheating. But they're freshmen (going to be sophomores in September), and you never want to give freshmen free time. It doesn't go well. Not even for these kiddos, the more academically inclined (and better behaved) of the class.

Ever search "nutrients" on YouTube? Turns out (once I ignored the videos on pot) that there are some decent on topic short videos that I could play.

They hated this, of course. They would have rather sat around and talked and watched videos on their phones. But considering how loud they were already getting, and from past experience, I knew I needed something...

They only seemed to enjoy one video. Mostly, they were making fun of it. But no matter.



I'll take laughter at the video over a wild party atmosphere (for 45ish minutes) any day. (This video was only about 5 minutes.)

34 comments:

  1. Subs have to be very ingenious. You're hired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah—Freshmen with free time can be a dangerous combination. Excellent idea on your part...and I would have taken the laugher, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound risky. I've clicked on videos whose title has nothing to do with the actual content. Good that you found something for them to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, it was a good way to keep them entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YouTube is definitely a good way to keep them entertained. My daughter could spend hours on it, if I let her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and there are all sorts of topics. It keeps surprising me.

      Delete
  6. YouTube is one of my go-to's for home schooling. You can learn about almost anything there. I'm betting my kids would get a kick out of that video too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, it was definitely a good idea to keep them occupied. Plus you found something kind of entertaining for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YouTube would have been great when i was a kid instead of those projectors which would have a narrator and a picture. When it was done you would hear a "Ding" and then you had to switch to the next reel. Boring as hell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to project things onto a big screen. Much better than those small TVs.

      Delete
  9. Probably for the best you found something for them to watch lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the short clip and it has a lot of truth in it...I've seen plenty of people who receive in home care could take a hint from the vidio.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is some good information on YouTube. Some.

      Delete
  11. Just imagine what you would have had to do before youtube was a thing. How did anyone survive before then?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember. I probably would have assigned them the next chapter. (Or maybe I would have texted the teacher. I have his phone number from when I covered his class last year.)

      Delete
  12. Its amazing what is on YouTube. Glad you found something that could help you fill up the time!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Liz - yes we can find all sorts of things on YouTube ... and they did get a valuable lesson ... well done - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched a few seconds and wanted to make fun of that video. Too funny. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was silly. With some decent information. Win-win.

      Delete
  15. Watching a learning video is not a teens idea of fun! Shame on you Liz! haha......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. One girl tried to convince me to show Grey's Anatomy. I said I don't have Netflix. She offered to let us use hers...

      Delete
  16. I waste so much time on You Tube myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like kids who eat only carbs ever run around and clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a pretty good reason for needing a summer class. And, hey, if they were making fun of it meant they were paying enough attention to do so :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. For a semester I took an education class. I always remember the teacher saying that the best way to handle behavior problems was to fill time and keep students busy. Like with Youtube nutrition videos. :) At least they weren't having to do busy work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, always keep them busy. First law of subbing.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.